When looking for a scone recipe I decided on blueberry because that is something convenient that I happened to already have groceries for. After browsing through a few recipes I found a lot of the dough mixtures to be dry and hard to incorporate the flour into. Last week my pretzel dough had that same consistency and I wanted something that was less difficult. I ended up choosing Jo Cooks lemon blueberry scone recipe because it had very similar ingredients to most recipes and the dough was a better consistency to work with. I really liked this site because it first laid out all the ingredients, explained the process of making scones with multiple step by step pictures, and provided further information on how you can store scones and whether or not you can freeze them. Although having a lot of information like this on a website can be easy to get lost in and hard to see the whole recipe in one frame, this is solved when you scroll to the bottom of the page where it has the recipe neatly organized and gives you an easy option to print it out. This site also has a quick video to show the process which I liked much better than the video I had previously been watching as it seemed to drag on too long.
I realized last week how helpful it was to read comments and reviews before making the recipe and decided to do the same thing this time around. Another great thing about this website was that the “Jo Cooks Team” replied to comments that asked questions. In particular, the question was asked if frozen blueberries were being used if they needed to be thawed and the team replied that it would work best if they were fully frozen. This was very helpful for me because I was planning on using frozen blueberries. Another user asked if the recipe still worked if it was cut in half and they replied yes. I had initially decided I only wanted to make half of the recipe (which made 8 instead of 16) just so there wouldn’t be any waste and I would still learn the scone making process. This confirmation that it would work was comforting.
Next, to be sure before baking I researched tips and tricks for making scones. This led me to find a site called Making Scones: Tips and Troubleshooting Problems. This site had lots of tips organized into different sections making it easy to follow. A few great tips I learned are to use cold butter instead of room temperature to help keep the dough cold which helps the scones rise better in the end. I also read that it is best to use a pastry cutter instead of a food processer to avoid overmixing the dough, and again it reminded me not to thaw frozen fruit which also helps keep the dough colder. Once I felt comfortable with the amount of research I had done, it was time to begin.
Following the recipe first I mixed together the wet ingredients (milk, eggs, vanilla, lemon zest, and sugar) in one bowl and then the dry ingredients (flour, salt, and baking powder) in another bowl. The next step was new to me as I had to cut the butter into the flour with a pastry cutter. To do this I cut the butter into chunks, added it to the dry mixture, and sliced into it multiple times until it was fully incorporated. Then I lightly coated the blueberries in flour so they wouldn’t sink to the bottom of the mixture.
Next, I went ahead and added the blueberries to the dry mixture and then added the wet mixture without reading that I was supposed to incorporate the wet to the dry AND THEN add the blueberries. This caused the mixture to be very purple.
Then I dumped the mixture onto the floured counter and carefully incorporated the rest of the flour. The blueberries thaw very quickly making this a difficult task and exploded blueberries are not the most appetizing. Next, instead of rolling them I flattened the dough with my hands while shaping it into a circle, cut them into 8 wedges, placed them on the pan, and put them in the oven. Then I quickly took them back out of the oven because I forgot to brush them with egg whites. After that step they went back in the oven for 20 minutes.
To make the glaze I combined powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and freshly squeezed lemon juice. After I drizzled this on top and they were ready.
On a side note: This was a very easy recipe to cut in half as there were easy dividable measurements.
Although a few of the techniques used were new to me, this recipe was fairly easy to follow. I made a few mistakes This was a very finicky mixture to work with, I did not fold it on the counter as much as the recipe said to. Although they came out fine, if I would have worked the dough more they would have been flakier (pastry-like), easier to handle, and would have kept their shape better. I would also not add the blueberries as soon to avoid dying the whole mixture purple, and I would pay closer attention to each step to avoid backtracking.
In the end it was a good learning experience, they tasted good and I am eager to try this recipe again to improve.